Sunday, January 7, 2024

Journey of a Spotify Playlist Curator: An Insightful Interview with T - What is it to become and be a curator?

 


What is it to become and be a curator? We asked T (yes, it's a bit of a strange name) to share their unique journey. From being an artist to becoming a curator, T wanted to create a space for genre-bending music that often didn't fit traditional categorization. Their playlists range from indie, folk, to alt-rock – and we simply wanted to know more.

Discover how a playlist curation starts and what role SubmitHub plays in that (it seems it's quite a big one!). Let’s look into the world of Spotify playlist curation with us & T.


About SubmitHub



SubmitHub, established in 2015 by music blogger Jason Grishkoff, serves as a platform connecting artists with music curators. Its primary purpose is to facilitate the submission of music to curators such as bloggers, playlist creators, radio stations, and labels, aiming to streamline this process efficiently​.


How SubmitHub Works


Credits system: Artists can use either standard (free) or premium (paid) credits to submit their music to curators. Each curator requires 1-3 credits for a submission. Premium credits ensure a decision within 48 hours, with curators required to listen to at least 20 seconds of a song and provide feedback if they don’t like it​​.

Pricing: Premium credits start at $6 for 5 credits, with bulk order discounts available. Standard credits are free​.

Curator feedback: While most curators are hobbyists and may not be music industry professionals, they provide varying levels of feedback, which can be useful to artists​​.

Song submission process: Artists upload their songs using links from platforms like SoundCloud, YouTube, or Spotify, select curators by filtering genres, and then submit their music. Responses are typically received within a few hours​​.

No placement guarantee: Using SubmitHub doesn’t guarantee placement. The platform focuses on transparency and improving the likelihood of artists receiving feedback after submissions​​.

Chat functionality: SubmitHub offers public and private chat rooms for users to communicate directly with each other​​.

Genre match feature: This helps artists target their submissions towards curators who are more likely to appreciate their genre. It uses a scoring system to match artists with the most relevant curators based on genre preference​​.


Pros of Using SubmitHub

You can get exposure and traction for your music, including teaching Spotify's algorithm

You get feedback on your track(s), though the quality may vary.

SubmitHub vets their curators thoroughly, so the chance of getting on a botted playlist is very low.

It also supports fair compensation for bloggers and playlisters, who often work out of a passion for music​​.

Extra features such as Hot or Not (where free Premium credits can be earned), chatrooms, a free AI tool for determining your genre, a tool for finding similar playlists, free link builder tool (SubmitHub Links), press quotes generated from your campaigns, and more.


Cons of Using SubmitHub

Be prepared for frequent rejections, the average approval rate is about 29% these days. 

Feedback can range from brutally honest and constructive to vague or unhelpful​​.

Not all curators are equal in terms of the quality and reach of their platforms​​, though that is taken into account in their pricing.

Many curators have specific genre preferences, making it crucial for artists to select carefully​​.

Some curators may prioritize earnings over quality feedback, leading to generic or rushed reviews​​. Be sure to check their ratings if unsure.

Suitability and Effectiveness

SubmitHub is particularly beneficial for music closely aligned with specific genres, such as well-produced pop or club-ready tracks. However, it may not be as effective for more experimental or niche genres. The platform serves as a practical introduction to the music industry's realities, where rejection is common and feedback can be blunt. For artists willing to face these challenges, SubmitHub can be a valuable tool for gaining exposure and understanding their music's market reception​​.



Interview with T



Background and Journey


Could you share your journey of becoming a Spotify Playlist Curator?


Well, I was, first, an artist. A bit of a cliché, I guess, but my music is a little (or more than a little) genre-bending. When trying to reach out to other curators and outlets, I mostly got responses like, “Yeah, it’s nice, and you have a great voice, but it just doesn’t fit.” I am not a person who waits to be “saved,” honestly. So, I decided to create playlists that I myself would enjoy, where my own music, as well as other music that I find unique and cool, would fit in. I took a lot of care in doing that – and promoted it wherever I could, from socials to ads. That is how it grew.


What inspired you to start curating playlists on Spotify?


I guess that’s it 👆 My personal love for music, often a song or an artist I love(d), and my own music—all that combined into a selection I myself enjoy listening to and continually work on.


Playlist Curation Process


How do you approach the playlist curation process?

I try to start “strong” – with the songs I love and inspire me the most. I add songs that fit the vibe (and that I enjoy), mixing in both larger and smaller artists, and go from there. It is mostly a process based on emotion and feelings. 

Personally, I don’t believe it should be SEO-based or just done for any kind of gain. Don’t get me wrong; curating takes a lot of time, effort, and also money to create, grow, and promote it, so some kind of gain should come from that. However, doing it solely for financial profit would, I believe, be very much felt. So, I listen to a lot of music and add what I love, going with my taste and my gut.


Are there specific genres or themes you focus on for your playlists?


Yes, there are multiple “areas” I create playlists around – from chill indie, folk, alt-rock, and synths to sadness. Pretty much everything I go for is something I love to listen to, something that has influenced me or resonates with me. I have to love and “understand” it to be able to work with it properly – to create an enjoyable playlist. At least, that is what I believe.


How often do you update your playlists, and what criteria do you use for adding new songs?


I would say I do so daily, depending on which songs I come across, what is submitted to me, and what I find on my own. I have a few playlists, so it’s different every day, but I do change the playlists and flow at least a bit most days.


Working with SubmitHub


How has working with SubmitHub impacted your curation process?

Incredibly so, and in a good way. 

I mean, you cannot imagine how much time goes into curating if you’ve never done it for real, more than just creating a playlist and that’s it. And then, when it’s a playlist people start to follow and listen to, artists and PRs write to you. Tens, hundreds of people, every day. You don’t even have to advertise it; different websites find your contact info and make it public whether you want it or not. 

Now, imagine listening and replying to all of those people and their songs (often even albums), tens+ a day. It’s hours of listening time and replies, just so, for free. And you have your day job, too, and life as well! It’s not sustainable, and it becomes overwhelming. After some time, you feel you can’t do it anymore, and either just ignore the people, putting on filters in emails and messages, or you burn out.

SubmitHub helps SO MUCH in that. You have a queue, you can set limits, your data is public - people don’t just randomly send you everything, but see what you accept, can preview your playlist(s), know what to expect... and your time, which often truly is many hours a day, is rewarded by a small sum that helps you keep the ads going and compensates your time a little. It acts as a very effective filter, and it helps curators not to get crazy.


Can you describe your typical workflow when reviewing submissions via SubmitHub?


Sure. I open up the page when I have time, either early in the morning or later in the day, and start with a few free submissions, keeping my conscience clean and my integrity intact by giving a chance to people who can’t afford credits. I then go over a list of people I made a note of checking their music later, accepting at least one song for free. Afterward, I review my queue of Premium submissions, listening and providing feedback and adding those that fit my preferences.

This doesn’t necessarily have to be done in one go. Depending on the day and how much time I have, I do this in small parts, using SubmitHub as a bit of a mental break in between tasks, taking a few minutes to not think about work, and so on. 


Audience Engagement and Growth


What strategies have you found most effective for growing your follower base on Spotify?


I actually wrote a very comprehensive article about that; be sure to check 

https://www.submithub.com/story/how-to-be-a-playlister

In short, creating something that is unique and enjoyable, leveraging social media by sharing and reminding people of the playlists, sharing artists that fit (they often share the playlist with their audiences as well), and then using Meta ads correctly (can be Reddit ads and other platforms, too) to let people know about them.


How do you engage with your audience, and how has this impacted your playlist’s popularity?


I think this is kind of answered in the previous question—to share the playlists, say something about them from time to time, combine the fitting ones with the day, season, some theme that resonates, and remind people of them in IG/FB stories, on Reddit, anywhere you feel comfortable with is important. Responding to comments and keeping them fresh with new artists who also share the playlists with their audience is also something I would recommend.

I would say again, though, that curating it with love (not for gain) is the key thing, and people may just notice that.


Music Discovery and Trends


How do you stay updated with the latest music trends and emerging artists?

As of late, SubmitHub has become one of the most important places, especially because many smaller artists don’t just get recommended to you by Spotify or elsewhere.

Other than that, simply listening to music and checking the recommendations of streaming platforms, friends, other musicians, and so on would be it. I mean, however you enjoy consuming music will inspire you, but you need to do it.


Can you share an instance where you discovered a gem of a song or artist through SubmitHub?

Certainly! There were SO MANY instances, and I’ve even made friends with many artists through the platform..

One song that immediately comes to mind, which I absolutely LOVE and discovered through a submission, is Andrew Goldring’s Greeen Grasses: 

https://open.spotify.com/track/7pRp2zJze8M8wVznxcb7ak?si=832812ffa7664f20 

I also adore Nick & June’s Manic Pixie Dream Girl, discovered through SubmitHub, as well as Withering Sign of the Lamb by Lantern By Sea. Another notable find is the duo KÅRP; they are just awesome (I won’t name just one song as there are multiple I really like).


Challenges and Rewards


What are some of the challenges you face as a Spotify Playlist Curator?

Burning out, haha, but seriously. Sometimes there is too much new music, and if you don’t set some limits for the day/time, and/or don’t make some free days for yourself, the music starts to blend together, and your judgment gets clouded. You stop seeing the bigger picture.

Also, a lot of hate. People who don’t understand how much work and investment, whether financial or time/effort-wise, curating involves, especially when you need a job to live and have other responsibilities (like art, hobbies, family, and so on), pour hate on you for earning that 1 or 2 dollars to evaluate and either decline or place their song. It seems acceptable to pay writers, producers, PR companies, labels – but curators should only do it for free, or they’re considered wicked. This you encounter from time to time, and however you explain, some people just don’t listen. So, thick skin and believing in what you do are the armor you need to learn to wear.

Lastly, more hate, but more of that jealous kind. If one is reasonably good at their curating, other curators, often those shady ones, try to hurt you, reporting your playlists to Spotify, and so on, just to get your SEO position or reduce competition. That’s just plain ugly. Honestly, it’s surprising how people can be unkind to each other sometimes.


What has been the most rewarding part of your journey as a curator?

Meeting people and getting to listen to a lot of music would be one thing.

Then, from time to time, people write again to thank you, saying how much your placement helped them with their release, with getting on algorithmic or editorial playlists, and so on. This feeling of being useful and helping others is priceless.

Also, that feeling when you see people submitting to you regularly really grow, not just numbers-wise, but also as musicians... That’s a little wonder of its own. I try to believe it helps me grow as a person (and a musician) as well.


Advice for Aspiring Curators and Artists


What advice would you give to aspiring playlist curators?

Don’t do it for gain. Do it because you love music, love that particular music style or theme, and do it with dedication and in a way you yourself would like to be treated.

What tips can you offer to artists looking to get their music featured on popular playlists?

I know it’s annoying – but do your research. Really think about the curator. I mean, the making of music takes so much time and effort. Why not put some more of that into getting it out there, getting it placed? SubmitHub provides a lot of data, so it’s not that hard; it just takes a bit of time.

Try to consider not just your point of view but also the curator’s (they get a lot of music, and your song is just one of many). So, be personal, be real, don’t just send it out without thinking, expecting a lot – check, think, listen, and submit when it really feels right, with a personal note explaining why you think so. It makes all the difference.


Future Plans and Aspirations


What are your plans or goals for your playlists?

No particular plan, perhaps apart from making them as good as they can be—refreshing them, adding new music, and adjusting the flow. That itself is the goal.

Are there any upcoming projects or collaborations that you’re excited about?

Do you mean musically or as a curator? As a curator, I’d say not really. I sometimes get inspired and create a new playlist or change an existing one, which becomes a project I guess, but it’s not really planned, more spontaneous. As a musician, I have a lot of music planned or am working on, including some collaborations. And yes, I did meet a few musicians I ended up collaborating with over SubmitHub, truly!


Personal Favorites


What are some of your favorite tracks or artists right now?

I guess I suggested some earlier, but I can pick a few more. I can’t get enough of Kick Off by Sivan Levy, and just today I got to hear this superb shoegaze-y/surf rock-y tune by this smaller band sun haze called vhs memories. What a vibe.

Is there a playlist you’ve curated that holds special significance to you?

I would say all my playlists hold significance to me – they are all based on an emotion or theme that speaks to me deeply, and my preference or what I listen to (yes, I listen to them regularly, checking and adjusting the flow) varies with time and mood. If I should pick one, I truly enjoy my Dinnertime soft indie; it’s my go-to every time I drive a car ^-^


Impact of Streaming on the Music Industry


How do you think platforms like Spotify and playlist curation are shaping the music industry today?

Huh, that’s deep. I think people do what works for them, and streaming platforms make our lives (musically) easier. That’s why we shape them as much as they shape us. But yes, they do shape us, serving us a lot of stuff we might not pick, kind of like TV did before (and I don’t watch any TV myself, so that is where it might end one day when something better comes along).

I believe that curation, especially when it’s not editorial, is truly important. Playlisters – but also music blogs, even if not as trendy right now – offer a different, more human perspective, not just the mainstream, not just what the algorithm makes everyone listen to. The world, at least I believe, NEEDS actual human curation done by people who love that kind of music. It levels the field and widens one’s choices, making them more authentic in a way. But I can understand it may be frustrating for artists to do all that kind of work to get on them – just keep in mind that everything worth it usually needs a lot of work and time. 



T Links

T on SubmitHub

Twitter

Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be so kind to leave a comment in support of this band or artist or article.