Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Interview with T Dawn Music @tdawn1

On Road Trip we have T Dawn who is a hard working composer, singer/songwriter from Riverside, CA that we met on Twitter some time ago and we are just now getting around to interviewing her. She lists her influences are Cheryl Crow, Stevie Nicks, Tori Amos, Imogen Heap. Her music ranges in Alternative / Progressive Rock / Indie Rock




You have a new band "Traces of Dawn", tell us who they are and how it happened.



That is correct, “Traces of Dawn” will be the new band name. I am so excited for people to hear the new music, it’s different for me…but my trademark style will be all over it. That is pretty much how I came up with the name of the band. After collaborating with several artists and building up my confidence I realized it was time to branch out and start forming a band of my own. We are not a big band, but we have a big sound! I have Justin Gummow to thank for that. Justin has worked with me from time to time on music. He actually assisted me with my song “Mental Breakdown” when I first started out, so it is no surprise that we are now working together on a regular basis. He brings to the table many things. He has a great sense of music style. He is a multi-talented musician who is very capable of playing the guitar, bass and drums. Justin won the Guitar Center store drum off finals and he has played drums for metal group named “Helsot” which has been recently signed to a label. I think our fans “Starlights” will notice a big difference in the music production.

Read More




Are you still hosting radio? What can you tell us about those experiences?

Yes, I am still hosting the Beyond the Dawn Radio Show. I can’t believe I have been doing this for over a year and it’s still going strong. Being a radio host has been so rewarding. What better place can I talk about Easter Peeps and Gummy Bears (grin). No really, I enjoying joking around on the show and making people smile but I like listening to the music. I am amazed by all the talent. I am very blessed to be able to work with these artists and provide an outlet for their music to be played!



We see you've had numerous blog and magazine spots the most recent appears to be April 2012 Rising Magazine, tell us a bit about your experience with them.


The first time someone asked me to be in their blog, I just about flipped. I was so honored, then my wonderful mind started working on me. What were they going to write about? Would it going to be good or bad? What questions were they going to ask me? Then I came up with this great idea, be myself. What a concept, huh? That’s pretty much how I have approached all interviews and blogs. It seems to calm me.
All my experiences with blogs and magazines have been wonderful. I am very grateful to even be considered for such a thing.



Are you still calling your fans "Starlights"? Where did it come from?


As my fan base started to grow the word “fan” became unsettling and just to generic for me. I wanted to set my fans apart from all the rest. I have always been fascinated by the stars in the sky, each one of them shining so bright…guiding the night skies. Without my fans, there would not be me. They are my light, they guide me through this wonderful journey that I am ever so grateful to be a part of. I thank you Starlights. So the answer to your question is, “yes” my fans will always remain my Starlights and we will see them through the Traces of Dawn.



Has the transition from music composer to singer/songwriter been a difficult one?


Transitioning from music composer to singer/songwriter was very difficult for me. I had several fears while making this transition. For one, I didn’t even know I could even sing or write but after my father past away, it seemed I had no choice but to sing. It was then that I wrote my very first song “Mental Breakdown.” The fan response was awesome, this helped fuel the fire for many songs to come. I wondered how could I put the same heart and soul into my next songs like I did with Mental Breakdown? It seemed like I bit off more than I could chew. I was gaining more fans, artists were asking me to collaborate with them and I even performed my first stage. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I would be lying if I said, I did not panic. As this journey was beginning, I began to search deep into my heart to lead the way and there “I” was, T Dawn. I have continued to let my heart be my guide and so far it has not lead me astray.



Have you ever had any music or singing lessons?


This question is an interesting question me. (Grin) I still have many lessons to learn. I have never had singing lessons, though at times I wish I did. I still think about it from time to time but I am in fear that it might break my unique sense of style so I shy away from it. I did have music lessons when I was a child. Music theory was always tuff for me to grab on to. I always wanted to veer off the path and go my own way. Through numerous instruments and structure, I picked up a guitar and I thought I found my niche. There was only one problem, I had to play the guitar opposite from how others played because I was left-handed. I really started to feeling awkward and different. Many years past and music was calling me again. I bought a new guitar and strangely enough it fit in my right hand like a glove. I have no idea what that is all about other than perhaps I was pushed to play a certain way when I was a kid, therefore damping some of my creativity. Never the less, I am still veering off the beaten path but on my own this time.


LINKS


Official T Dawn
http://www.tdawn.com/

Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/tdawn1

T Dawn Music ReverbNation
http://www.reverbnation.com/tdawn

April 2012 Rising Magazine
http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/385921



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be so kind to leave a comment in support of this band or artist or article.